15 March, 2009

Bonus Bonanza

I'm usually not easily chocked by stories about greed or corruption - after all this is two of the fundaments of the world economy - but I almost spilled my coffee when I read this article in New York Times: "The American International Group, which has received more than $170 billion in taxpayer bailout money from the Treasury and Federal Reserve, plans to pay about $165 million in bonuses by Sunday to executives in the same business unit that brought the company to the brink of collapse last year." The bonus plan covers 400 employees - giving an average of about $400.000 each. Meanwhile, somewhat closer to the base of the social pyramid that is global society, Egyptian textile workers have to go on strike and occupy their factory to receive their full pay. But I'm sure it all makes sense, somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment